Thursday, December 1, 2011 to Saturday, December 3, 2011
Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland
Hollywood, California (USA)
Every Ending is a new Beginning.
Or perhaps just
For the eighth time we gather
Passionates of like mind
rejoicing in our meeting.
Our hosts have been most gracious
through the years.
Permitting us to peek under the tent flap
if only for a moment.
They have helped create many precious memories.
Unions of artists and audience.
Wonder and appreciation on both sides of the curtain.
Who knows the future?
But this we know without doubt.
The memories of our times together
sealed indelibly in the mind and heart
will never fade.
With warm appreciation
we say Farewell.
Perhaps our paths will cross again.
When the herald call
to the Passion in our hearts
speaks again across the miles.
Beckoning us to gather once more
Greetings, fellow Cirque Passionates!
For the eighth time we gather, in a land where dreams are real and reality fake. And as
we reflect on the memories of those eight years we feel an almost overwhelming awe of
the places we’ve seen, the friends we’ve met (and re-met) and the fabulous shows we’ve
experienced (totaling 14!). We also continue to be amazed by the kindness of our friends
at Cirque du Soleil who once again have gone above and beyond our expectations.
What started as an informal gathering of 31 Cirque du Soleil fans through a YahooGroup
swelled to almost 200 two years later. In the following years our numbers have been
more or less steady, as we found a “core” of Cirque Passionates that seem glad to follow
us wherever we might choose to go. That core has changed from our first event in 2004;
the faces of that first event are different from this one.
In the intervening time many friendships have been made, as Passionates have bonded
with others of like mind. We’ve been to wonderful places such as Vancouver, Montréal
(twice!), Mexico, Orlando as well as Las Vegas, New York City, Tokyo and now
Hollywood. As tourists we know we’ve been forever changed by many indelible
memories, met many many new friends and taken several “trips of a lifetime,” and we
hope you have, too.
The landscape of Cirque du Soleil has also changed. Cirque Week now seems to be an
annual event in Las Vegas, and we like to think in our own small way we helped show
Cirque the power that Passionates have when gathered in one place. Cirque has also
taken to opening multiple new creations each year, some in exciting far-flung cities of the
As you might imagine, organizing an event like CirqueCon takes a lot of work by a lot of
people. And after eight years of planning and executing it is time for us to take a break.
This means that CirqueCon 2011: Hollywood! will be the last CirqueCon for awhile. We
are going on hiatus and will return if we find a compelling reason and a compelling city
in which to gather.
But with every ending comes a new beginning. We hope your journeys, now and in the
future, bring out your Passion. Let us now celebrate the wonder, beauty, mystery,
education and, above all, camaraderie we have found during our times together. And
when we finally part, know we have found our own kind. We are not alone…
We welcome you all!
[ CirqueCon 2011 Team |
Our Event Schedule |
Thank Yous ]
CIRQUECON 2011 TEAM
- Ricky Russo – Erstwhile guru of our web-based efforts. Lent the support of the Fascination!
Newsletter to efforts early on. Has compiled and edited collections of articles from Fascination!
for our Program Books. Helped guide us through the budgeting process with his advanced Excel
skills. He was also Chairman of our Orlando, Mexico, and New York City/Montréal events.
- LouAnna Valentine – Played a vital role in decision-making with daily conversations, input
and debate. In addition to being a lovely and supportive spouse, responsible for our Meet and
Greet. Came up with several inspired ideas, including our catchphrase, “Live Passionately!”
- Keith Johnson - Whatever else needed to be done. Tons of writing, member communication,
database management, research/phone calls, hotel and meal booking, being an overly detailconscious
jerk... you get the picture.
PAST MEMBERS OF OUR TEAM HAVE INCLUDED (in alphabetical order):
- Rich Alford (2005-2008) – Co-chair Orlando, Graphics and deliverables.
- Rodolfo Elizondo (2009-2010) – Co-chair Mexico, Trip planning, Cirque liaison, T-shirt deliverables.
- Francisco Fernandez (2009-2011) – Graphics.
- Jeff Tolotti (2004-2005) – Co-Chair Vancouver, graphics and deliverables, instigation.
OUR EVENT SCHEDULE
|6:00pm - 8:00pm
||Highland Gardens Hotel - Pool Area
||Meet & Greet
Join us in the beautiful hotel pool area! It's the place
where members meet old (and new) friends, receive their membership packets,
and partake of snacks and refreshments, hosted by LouAnna.
|9:00am - 11:00am
||Highland Gardens Hotel - RM 217
For those who couldn't make it to the Meet & Greet,
another opportunity to come by and pick up your membership badges & packets,
before we take in the days Cirque-ey activities. Just meet us as Keith and
Louanna's hotel room (#217)!
|2:45pm - 4:15pm
||Cirque Activities @ IRIS
CIRQUECON 2011 BADGE REQUIRED
Join us in the First Floor Rotunda (next to the Kodak Theatre Box
Office) at 2:45pm. We will be watching some rehearsals with staff on
hand to answer questions. Then, in CirqueCon tradition, step onto the
IRIS stage for a group photo! After 3pm late comers will be out of
luck! Don't be late!!
|5:00pm - 7:00pm
||The Grill on Hollywood
||CirqueCon Group Meal
GROUP MEAL RESERVATION REQUIRED
Gather with more than 30 other Cirque Passionates (in a specially
reserved area) to eat, drink, and talk of our shared "passion." A
perfect way to prepare for the continuing wonders to come.
|8:00pm - 10:30pm
||Group Show /// Cirque du Soleil: IRIS
Doors open at 7:30pm; show begins at 8:00pm
Then join us at the Kodak Theater at Hollywood and Vine for our Cirque du Soleil
Group show: IRIS. This is what we came to see! IRIS is a Journey Into the World of
Cinema, "a lyrical, fanciful, kinetic foray into the seventh art."
|10:30pm - 11:00pm
||Special Post-Show Q&A
CIRQUECON 2011 BADGE REQUIRED
Following the show, stay in your seats for what has become a CirqueCon
tradition. We will get a chance to Q&A a few of the artistic, creative
and technical wizards of this incredible production!
|10:00am - 12:00pm
||Highland Gardens Hotel - RM 217
Come have a cup of tea or coffee with us, give us your comments and share your
favorite CirqueCon memories. Or just stop by to say a final (for now) "good-bye"!
THANKS THIS YEAR
CirqueCon cannot happen without help from many different places. We’ve tried to mention everyone
we are aware of in the list below. But even with this list we’re sure we’re missing somebody. Know
that we humbly thank you all!!
at Cirque du Soleil:
- Leticia Rhi Buckley - Marketing and Public Relations Manager, IRIS
- Carrie Farina - Ticket Operations Manager, Cirque du Soleil
- Randy Meyer - Company Manager, IRIS
- Erin Mahan - Assistant Company Manager, IRIS
- Denise Biggi - Artistic Director, IRIS
- Sergio Ruezgas - Director of Events, Kodak Theatre
- Freddy Marrón - Marketing Coordinator, CDS Resident Shows
- Lauren Zaricki - Marketing Manager, CDS Resident Shows
- Roxane Prince - Cirque Club
in Hollywood, CA:
- Jim Baklayan - General Manager, HIGHLAND GARDENS HOTEL
- Dmitri Fagel - Manager, THE GRILL ON HOLLYWOOD
- Nyla Arslanian - Editor, EXPERIENCE HOLLYWOOD MAGAZINE
- CirqueCon 2011 Logo - Designed by Francisco Fernandez from an idea by
Keith Johnson. Thanks to Rodolfo Elizondo.
- Program Book - Cover and map graphics by Steve Long. Article layout
by Ricky Russo.
- Membership Badge and Group Meal Ticket - Design by Steve Long
- Magnet - Design by Dave Easton (GM Nameplate). Magnets by Polar
Magnetics, Toronto, Ontario - Greg Smith, Sales.
- Postcard - Design by Ricky Russo. Production by Staples.
- Poster - Design by Kathie Zetterberg, GM Nameplate. Produced by
SuperGraphics, Seattle - James Feight, Plant Manager.
- Reconnaissance - Laura Jones.